I have been fairly productive in the last weeks, despite a lot of administrative things that needed to be sorted out and uncertainties regarding my partner’s future employment that made it hard to plan for the future.
Specifically, we finished up a manuscript (“Exploration of the Rate of Forgetting as a Domain-Specific Individual Differences Measure“) that is based on chapter 4 of my PhD thesis and submitted the work in early May. This was together with my PhD promotors Rob R. Meijer and Hedderik van Rijn. We’re now waiting for reviews.
Additionally, Hedderik and I wrote up our exploration of an implementation of the serial reaction time task in a very simple virtual reality environment that came out of a collaboration with the local company STARK Learning. We were able to show that the expected speed-up of reaction times emerged in the VR implementation of the task, which is a nice proof of concept that we hope other researchers can use to deploy the task in novel conditions. I got the “notification of formal acceptance” last night and we hope the paper goes through production swiftly and will be available in PLoS ONE soon.
The most exciting new development, however, is that a new PhD student joined the lab: Maarten van der Velde started his PhD in May and I am excited to co-supervise him, together with Jelmer Borst and Hedderik van Rijn. Hedderik and I submitted an abstract to ICCM 2018 and Maarten is going to help processing the data and preparing it for the poster presentation in Madison. It’s going to be very interesting for me to work with someone that has a formal computer science education – I’ll have a lot to learn from him!